Skip to main content

Loving yourself

It's Valentines Day today, and I am separated, and getting divorced in October.  And yet, I am the happiest I have been in many many years.  I know from speaking to my ex that he is happier and calmer, and I have been reflecting back on Valentines Days past and what's changed.

What's different now? I'm more confident in myself. I made the massive decision to move out of the family home in November, when I felt that I couldn't hold all the pieces of our family together and keep myself intact.  So, over the past few months I have been putting myself back together, and I am discovering some wonderful things along the way.  I have made mistakes and I have cried, I've been rude and shouty, I've smiled at strangers, I've helped friends. I've been helped.  I've read great books and crappy books and watched TV and played with my kids and grieved my cat and grieved my marriage. I've taken up smoking and quit again.  I've had some incredibly painful and some exquisitely beautiful moments.

I am starting to see that, as a single person and a human being, that one of my biggest fears was being alone.  And I felt so alone in my marriage. There is nothing lonelier than two people whose relationship has broken beyond repair who continue to live together.  Paradoxically, as I have stepped out in faith that this was the right thing for me to do, and followed my heart, I have come to a place of hope, contentedness and freedom. I don't feel alone, because I am not alone.  We are all interconnected.


I have come to see that when I am bogged down with my problems and I feel like life is hard, there is always someone doing it tougher than me.  There is always someone I can help, be it chatting to a neighbour, offering help, or sending a text to encourage someone.  There are always answers in my life if I sit and wait to hear them.  I don't have to know what is coming next.  When I left my marriage, I felt like I would never feel love again.  But I feel it all the time. I feel it from my friends, who encourage me in my journey.  Centrelink workers who have separated from their husbands who tell me that it "gets easier".  People who let me cry on their shoulder and trust me with their hurts. 

Recently I had an amazing experience of connection that made me feel like I could see the stars and touch the heavens.  When I came back down to earth, I felt fearful and sad.  I couldn't trust happiness, could I? And then I stopped.  And I breathed. I looked at why I was fearful and sad.  It was because I felt that I wasn't worthy, that I wasn't lovable, that I wasn't supposed to feel this happy.  But I am and I AM and I REALLY AM.  I am really meant to be this happy.  But it is a personal journey for me, and I release this person from my connection. I can never control the outcome of a friendship or relationship.  I cannot control anything other than my reaction to what is.  And my feelings are of joy and happiness that there are people like this in the world.  I feel grateful to have experiences that encourage my faith in human nature.  I see that I know so little of what is in store for me, and that is the great adventure.  

Nobody else can make me love myself and treat myself well.  I am the one that has to put up boundaries and say what is good and loving, and what is bad and harmful.  Right now, I am my own valentine and I am so happy with that.  I am a beautiful soul, part of a beautiful world full of souls.  

A friend told me recently in a message "Deb ...you are doing an awesome job and bring so much joy and positivity to everyone you meet xx", I was so encouraged by this! Sometimes as a stay at home mum, I struggle with my role in life.... but I am seeing more and more that my job, and my work on this earth, is to love and accept myself, to be honest and real about my struggles and fears, therefore giving permission to those around me to be honest and real.

I can't change whether people are in my life for a year, a minute, or a day. I can't stop people from dying. I can't stop things from ending. But what I can do, is to be real, authentic, to feel my feelings and to trust that everything is going to be okay. Happy Valentines day, to everyone. May you make the bold choice to start trusting and loving your true self.

Deb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let it go - Frozen as an allegory for autism.

Stephanie and I have been watching "Frozen", and as always, I'm looking for hidden meanings in the story. I love to look at movies and songs and apply them to my daily life. Our household is all-autistic.  We all have diagnoses of Autism. I see Elsa's super power of ice as being similar to the Autistic super powers that we all possess. We don't have the power to freeze things, but our overzealous emotion can hurt those who we care about.  Autism is defi ned by the Oxford Dictionary as " a developmental disorder of variable severity that is characterised  by difficulty in social interaction and communication and by restricted or repetitive patterns of thought and behaviour." What this means for us, in my family, is that we experience external stimuli as blasts of information.  When we are out in public, the smells, the sights, the sounds and the people can all merge together and become completely overwhelming. In order to regulate, we can focus on

Dental metaphors

It's been five months since I last blogged, on what was going to be my daily mindfulness and gratitude blog. Ha!! The only thing that I seem capable of completing at the moment is a family size cheesecake. Just kidding.  Although the cheesecake was delicious, I have managed to stay sober for a long time, to parent my kids for 10 years, and to keep living even when things seemed truly crap. At the moment, I am recovering from having a tooth pulled. I hate dental stuff. I am slightly phobic.  I had a filling about two weeks ago on a tooth that was already heavily decayed and filled.  The dentist seemed sure that he could save the tooth, I thought it would need to be pulled.  He numbed me up and started on his journey to save that tooth.  As he started pulling out the decay, drilling and scraping, he started seeing that the tooth was almost more decay than tooth.  He started saying "oh dear, this is a lot of decay".  He started saying that they would do their best to fix

Geraniums in my garden: a gratitude blog

There's a lot wrong with the world, but you know...there's a lot right with it too. Life is a bitch sometimes and the only way we can accept that is to practice accepting life on life's terms.  I admit that I can be a bit of a diva and I definitely have a lot of feelings.  I am in recovery from a number of emotional issues...I have in the past wanted other people to take responsibility for my life and absolve me, but in attending 12 Step groups and through my faith in God, I have become a person who is a lot more functional..... A daily gratitude journal is a wonderful way of seeing the positive in life and rising above my present circumstances.  I've had the good fortune to have a number of wonderful people in my life, including friends and family.  One of the people who I had a very close connection with was my beautiful Grandma, Hazel Cook.  She and I spoke often on the phone and she would say to me in her soothing voice, "nothing lasts forever, Deborah, dea