Skip to main content

Geraniums in my garden: a gratitude blog

There's a lot wrong with the world, but you know...there's a lot right with it too.

Life is a bitch sometimes and the only way we can accept that is to practice accepting life on life's terms.  I admit that I can be a bit of a diva and I definitely have a lot of feelings.  I am in recovery from a number of emotional issues...I have in the past wanted other people to take responsibility for my life and absolve me, but in attending 12 Step groups and through my faith in God, I have become a person who is a lot more functional.....

A daily gratitude journal is a wonderful way of seeing the positive in life and rising above my present circumstances.  I've had the good fortune to have a number of wonderful people in my life, including friends and family.  One of the people who I had a very close connection with was my beautiful Grandma, Hazel Cook.  She and I spoke often on the phone and she would say to me in her soothing voice, "nothing lasts forever, Deborah, dear.  Good, bad, or indifferent".  I adored talking to her when I was in my twenties, but I'd give anything to be able to speak to her in my thirties and forties, because she was so wise and so dryly funny.  I used to joke that if I rang her and told her that I had murdered someone, she would say "well, you have been under a lot of pressure, and I'm sure you didn't mean it!".

Geraniums and roses were part of Grandma's garden, along with mint and tomatoes.  She had a beautiful, thriving garden that was perfect for long afternoons reading a book, a rousing game of hide and seek, or whiling away the hours creating little fairy houses made of petals, moss and bark.  Whenever I see a geranium, a rose, smell or taste mint or tomatoes, I think of my Grandma and how lucky I was to be so adored by a wonderful woman, who I adored in return.



Every time I see a geranium, I am encouraged.  I want to be a geranium in your garden, and to acknowledge every day that I am blessed, in a non hashtag way!

Today I am grateful for: My physical health, my children, the people who love me, access to good health care for me and my kids, I am grateful that there are places I can go to be understood and people who get me.  I am grateful for Facebook and the access I have to online groups where I can talk about my truth.  I'm grateful for coincidences that mean that I live next door to a wonderful woman.  I am grateful that if I make a mistake I can apologise. I am grateful to have a roof over my head and my needs being met.

See you tomorrow for more gratitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let it go - Frozen as an allegory for autism.

Stephanie and I have been watching "Frozen", and as always, I'm looking for hidden meanings in the story. I love to look at movies and songs and apply them to my daily life. Our household is all-autistic.  We all have diagnoses of Autism. I see Elsa's super power of ice as being similar to the Autistic super powers that we all possess. We don't have the power to freeze things, but our overzealous emotion can hurt those who we care about.  Autism is defi ned by the Oxford Dictionary as " a developmental disorder of variable severity that is characterised  by difficulty in social interaction and communication and by restricted or repetitive patterns of thought and behaviour." What this means for us, in my family, is that we experience external stimuli as blasts of information.  When we are out in public, the smells, the sights, the sounds and the people can all merge together and become completely overwhelming. In order to regulate, we can focus on

Dental metaphors

It's been five months since I last blogged, on what was going to be my daily mindfulness and gratitude blog. Ha!! The only thing that I seem capable of completing at the moment is a family size cheesecake. Just kidding.  Although the cheesecake was delicious, I have managed to stay sober for a long time, to parent my kids for 10 years, and to keep living even when things seemed truly crap. At the moment, I am recovering from having a tooth pulled. I hate dental stuff. I am slightly phobic.  I had a filling about two weeks ago on a tooth that was already heavily decayed and filled.  The dentist seemed sure that he could save the tooth, I thought it would need to be pulled.  He numbed me up and started on his journey to save that tooth.  As he started pulling out the decay, drilling and scraping, he started seeing that the tooth was almost more decay than tooth.  He started saying "oh dear, this is a lot of decay".  He started saying that they would do their best to fix